skip to content

Faculty & Staff Information

How to refer a student to CMHS

  1. Faculty and/or any concerned campus staff person can refer a student by having the student call to make an appointment for Triage;
  2. Faculty and/or any concerned campus staff person can walk the student over to the CMHS office;
  3. Faculty/Staff person can look over our CMHS Staff site to find out more information about us to help refer your student directly to a person on staff rather than just to our office.
  4. Faculty and/or any concerned campus staff person can request assistance from campus Police if concerned that a student may be at risk of hurting self or others.
  5. Faculty/Staff can read the "Helping Students in Distress Guide" by clicking HERE.

Who gets services at CMHS?

Any student registered at Storrs qualifies for services. Here are just a few of the concerns that bring students to seek counseling:

  • Adjustment to college life
  • Low self-esteem
  • Assertiveness and decision making
  • Insomnia or excessive sleep
  • Sexual orientation or coming out
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Lack of motivation
  • Depression or mood swings
  • Anxiety or panic attacks
  • Eating disorders
  • Out of control thoughts/behaviors
  • Difficulty with attention/concentration
  • Illness or death of a family member or close friend
  • Relationships and communication issues (friends, partners, roommates)
  • Uncertainty about leaving school
  • Parent and family conflicts
  • Coping with medical illness
  • Unwanted pregnancy
  • Sexually transmitted diseases

What services are offered at CMHS?

  • Individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy.
  • Medication evaluation and monitoring
  • Emergency services
  • Referrals
  • Consultation services for faculty and staff
  • For a full listing of CMHS Services Click Here

Important Information about CMHS Fees and Insurance Billing, Fall 2012

What might faculty watch out for when concerned about a student?

  • Students exhibiting emotional distress: signs of anxiety, depression, unmanageable anger
  • Isolated students
  • Adjustment issues
  • A stress level that raises concern
  • Excessive worries
  • Notably elevated or decreased mood
  • Suspected alcohol and/or drug abuse
  • Notable irritability, disruptive behaviors and peer conflicts
  • Fatigue and social withdrawal
  • Threatening and/or aggressive behavior to self and/or others
  • Signs of inability to care for self
  • Indications of self-destructive thoughts (verbalized, written)
  • Any significant change in a student's behavior, appearance or demeanor

Why Do People Consider Using Counseling?

Counseling is a partnership between an individual and a professional who is trained to help people understand their feelings and assist them with changing their behavior. People often consider counseling under the following circumstances:

  • They feel an overwhelming and prolonged sense of sadness and helplessness in their futures.
  • Their emotional difficulties make it hard for them to function day to day. For example, they are unable to concentrate on assignments and their class performance suffers as a result.
  • Their actions are harmful to themselves or others.
  • They are troubled by emotional difficulties facing family members or close friends.
  • They just need someone with whom to talk.

As faculty and staff, you are often the first to notice concerning behavior from our students. If you have and concerns or questions, ask! Consult with fellow faculty members, call CMHS, contact the Dean of Students Office and so on. There are many on the UConn campus who are here to help. Open communication is one of our best ways to reduce problem behaviors and help our troubled students.

Requests for Academic Accommodations

Students who are seeking accommodations based upon mental health concerns, particularly for time-limited or immediate issues, should be encouraged to negotiate directly with their professors. CMHS Staff may provide students with a "DOCUMENTATION OF VISIT FORM" to verify a studentís consultation at CMHS. CMHS Staff should not write directly to professors to request accommodations on behalf of a student. If students would like further guidance regarding their enrollment, withdrawal, or status, they should be referred to the Dean of Students Office. CMHS Staff may provide the Dean of Students with information with a signed release of information. All other academic accommodations must be administrated through the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD). With a signed release of information, CMHS Staff may provide the CSD with clinical information to assist in their determination pertaining to an accommodation(s).

Requests for Documentation relative to Dismissal Appeals and Financial Aid Decisions:

Students seeking evidence of mental health concerns as part of appeal processes on campus (often regarding academic dismissal and financial aid decisions) will be provided with documentation of their work with CMHS. This documentation will verify visit dates, and indicate degree of compliance with treatment recommendations. Disclosure of diagnostic information will be limited to individuals who are sufficiently licensed to interpret this information, and who are engaged in the patientís care. Per our accrediting body, the International Association of Counseling Services (IACS), CMHS does not make admissions, disciplinary, curricular or other administrative decisions involving students. Per state privacy law, disclosures for the purposes of appeals require a written release of information.

Faculty & Staff Resources

How to contact CMHS

  • Call (860) 486-4705
  • Visit CMHS
    We are located in the Arjona Building, 337 Mansfield Road, Unit 1255.