Helpful Information in Times of Crisis and Emergency
An emergency might involve:
- Thoughts and plans to hurt yourself or someone else
- Engaging in a behavior that is life threatening
- If you have been assaulted, physically or sexually
IF THIS IS A SERIOUS AND IMMEDIATE LIFE-THREATENING CRISIS, PLEASE BYPASS THIS INFORMATION AND CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!
During Regular Business Hours
- Call our office at 860-486-4705 and ask to speak to the "On-Call Therapist"
- CMHS is open from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
While most counseling services are scheduled on an appointment basis, there may be crisis situations that require immediate or same-day intervention. The caller should tell our receptionist there is need for on-call therapist. Students will be seen as soon as possible by an the on-call therapist.
After Regular Business Hours
If you are feeling out of control and have thoughts of harming yourself or someone else, or another emergency is happening that does not require immediate police response:
- Call 860-486-4705 for the CMHS after-hours on-call therapist
Note: We are not available for after-hours care during breaks and summers.
What To Do In an Emergency
Depending upon the nature, location, and timing of an emergency, your options are:
- Call the UConn Campus Police
The Police will assess the situation, contact the counselor-on-call, and, if necessary, have the person transported to a hospital for care and treatment.
Dial 911 or 860-486-4800
- Dial 911 Off Campus
Dial 911 off campus to summon local Police who will assess the situation and, if necessary, arrange for transportation of the person to a hospital for care and treatment.
- Counseling and Mental Health Services
Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Come to the CMHS Annex (located behind the SHS building) or call 486-4705
After hours, weekends and holidays call 860-486-4705, stay on the line and follow instructions.
- Windham Hospital
Provides evaluation and hospitalization as necessary.
Location: 112 Mansfield Ave., Willimantic, CT 06226
There are also two suicide hotlines that are available 24-hours a day to assist you if you need to speak to someone anonymously for advice and guidance:
- Infoline Suicide Hotline
- National Runaway & Suicide Hotline
- Suicide Prevention National Lifeline