Summer ’12 Services at CMHS!
May 7 – August 24
Between the dates of commencement and the first day of the fall semester, CMHS provides you the following services:
- Triage & Brief Assessment
- If you are new to CMHS, please call during our regular center hours of 8:30a.m. to 4:40p.m. to schedule a brief assessment. During this time we will triage your concerns, provide you with both on-campus and off-campus referrals as appropriate, and in the case of emergencies, connect you with immediate crisis services.
- If you would like to engage in ongoing individual treatment, we will work with you to decide which on or off-campus services will best fit your needs.
- Therapy Services:
- Students who are interested in ongoing therapy services are referred via triage (see above) for Group Therapy.
- For more information on group, how it works, why it is so effective for so many people, why it is not nearly as scary as you might initially think, and how to benefit from this treatment please see our website at: www.counseling.uconn.edu/group_therapy.html.
- Students appropriate for this modality will be offered an initial assessment and entry into General Psychotherapy Group. Courses of routine individual therapy are not initiated by CMHS during the summer session. Clinicians will assist students needing or wanting individual psychotherapy in planning for their care with both on and off campus options.
- Medication Services
- Medication services are available for continuing CMHS patients through the summer. Students who are in service with CMHS via our group program, or in service with one of our partner clinics (UConn Humphrey Clinic or Psychological Services Clinic) and show clinical need for starting medication are provided with a medication evaluation and treatment as clinically indicated.
- Emergency Services:
- CMHS provides same day services for crisis and emergency situations. If you are in crisis or have an emergency please contact us during our usual hours of M-F from 8:30a.m.-4:30p.m.
- We can arrange for you to meet with our daily on-call therapist to discuss the nature of your concerns, provide helpful interventions, and discuss options and recommendations that meet your clinical care requirements.
- If you are in need of emergency service at other times, please see our website for more information as to how to access emergency services (www.counseling.uconn.edu/immediate_help.html). If you are in a serious and life threatening emergency, please bypass this information and call 911 immediately for the UConn Police.
CMHS offers consultation services by licensed staff to assist faculty, administrators, residence hall personnel, and others on campus in their daily work with students. Examples of consultation activities include:
- Providing information on campus and community mental health resources
- Working with academic advisors in teaching students how to cope with anxiety, stress, anger and depression
- Assisting in residence hall staff and counselor training
- Planning strategies to avert a potential crisis
- Crisis response
- Grief and loss
- Managing group conflict
- For More Consultation Information for Faculty and Staff, please click here.
- For More Consultation Information for Parents and Families, please click here.
- Eligibility: All continuing students are eligible for services in the summer as described above. When a student graduates, however, the student is no longer eligible for CMHS services. We will work with students to make appropriate referrals when needed. New incoming students are eligible for service starting on August 1st.